Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Sugar...


For those of you that don't know, I LOVE sugar! Seriously, it is my addiction. Seriously. I tried living without it once and it was not good. I was grumpier than I usually am and it just created inner turmoil. Let me explain. It was a bet that I had going with my family, to see who could go the longest without eating sugar. Well, I have this stubborn streak in me, that is unyielding. So, there was the part of me that wanted to eat sugar and then there was the other side of me that was refusing to give in to the bet.

I lasted for about two months before the addiction took control and beat the stubborn half down. I vowed that I would never do that again. It was just not worth it. It's better to eat some sugar everyday in moderation than to go without for a couple months and then gorge on it later. So, here's my personal philosophy about sugar. The more pure it is, the better. I am not the biggest lover of chocolate. It's just not that good to me. I mean I do eat it, just not that often. I hardly ever choose to buy it either. I think a pixie stick is as close to pure sugar as you can get. Mmm...good stuff. It's not like I want to go eat sugar from the pantry or anything (although the occasional spoonful of brown sugar is delightful). I just like my candy to be super sugary, but also have a flavor.

I also love sour candy. I eat so much of it at a time that it makes my teeth hurt. Ever had that experience? It wears the enamel off your teeth and then it hurts to chew regular food, and sour candy too. It's not that fun. So, I try not to let it get to that point. Although, I've been bored at work lately and so I've eaten a lot of sugary-sour candy there. I am currently taking a break from the sour stuff. Ahh, the one true love of my life! Sugar!

6 comments:

arly said...

Me too. I love the stuff. Although, I do eat chocolate, too. The other night I ended my bad day by eating 8 fun-size candy bars for dinner. Plus some Swedish fish to make it a complete meal.

I love those little lemon heads. Although, the hard candy centers are not worth much when you suck off all the sour stuff.

New favorite treat: Costco chocolate truffles. Yum.

Lucky-UnluckyOne said...

Hey Di!
I LOVE pixie stixs too! But I will say that the gigantic ones that you can get are a bit much for me.. I remember when I was a kid, eating TearJerkers so much that the acid actually burnt the skin off my tongue!!! gross eh?

D. said...

LOL! Arly, I totally eat the costco chocolate truffles. That's the one chocolate candy I do love and I was going to include it in this blog entry, but decided no to.

Kristen, never fear I have eaten that much sour candy before too. It was a huge blow-pop super sour lemonade flavor. I loved those things! It's the only sour candy that has ever made me pucker. But, yeah it burnt the skin off my tongue...and I wasn't a kid. It's sick-a-lick though. (That's for Trish wherever she is.)

SuziQ said...

Ooh, when I was preggo I would eat Sour Skittles till my tongue would burn. But they're soooo good! Probably no coincidence that Averie loves sour stuff, too!

Shamelessly said...

Well..
As can be attested by many I'm not such a candy tramp. I mean I like it by all means but honestly there's lots of other things I'll go after first. However, I do have to have something sweet after dinner everynight, even if its one delightful Costco chocolate truffle squirreled away since christmas or a lowly swedish fish.

Anonymous said...

I once met a lady who had quit smoking and replaced her cigarettes with candy. When she went to the dentist he thought she was bilemic because of the acid (Lemonheads were her favorite) from the candy she ate had decayed her teeth that badly.