Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Sweet Thai Sticky Rice with Mango


This is my new love. Saturday night Sam and I went to Thai Chili Gardens for dinner. When we got there they sat us and then no one came to serve us. We sat there for a while...trying to decide if we just wanted to leave or complain or what. A waiter walked by, Sam stopped him, and the waiter asked, "Have you been helped yet?" We told him we hadn't and he said he would go see who our waiter was supposed to be.



He came back and said he didn't know who our waiter was supposed to be, but he would just go ahead and help us. (Yeah, we think he was supposed to be our waiter the whole time too.) They did give us a free appetizer for our trouble though. Anyway...on to the point. We ordered our food and it was good, but the best part was the dessert! We ordered some sticky rice with mango and oh-my-gosh! It was soooo good! If I wasn't so full I would have eaten another order of it by myself as well, instead I decided to get one to go.



After that delicious dessert I was determined to figure out how to make the sitcky rice dessert. Sam and I got online and found a recipe. It seemed simple enough, although we knew we would have to find an Asian market to get the right type of rice, etc. Yesterday we went to this sweet Asian market (1st Oriental Market in Orem) and found a 5 pound bag of rice for only $4 (that's as much as the dessert was at the restaurant). Yeah, we were pretty excited to try and make our own sticky rice. We tried it last night...it was our first attempt. It tasted fine, but turned out more like a rice pudding than the rice that we had at the restaurant. So, if you want to try a really good dessert, I would recommend that you go to Thai Chili Gardens on 800 North in Orem just west of State Street.




1 comment:

Shamelessly said...

Sounds yummy. When are we going???