Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Dad's Birthday

Tonight I am going to some Celtic concert. I really don't know a lot about it. When I asked my dad what he wanted for his birthday he told me he would like me to go this concert with him. And I bought my own ticket too. I'm sure it will be just lovely. It's not the first time that I've been to a concert with my dad. It's one thing he really likes to do that my mom hates, so it's usually one of us kids that goes with him. In fact, we often joke that the way to get Dad to love you is to go to concerts with him, thus I am the most loved child my father has. That's right, not only have I been to more concerts with him than anyone else, I've also been to his favorite performers. Kathy Matea, Susi Boggus, Allison Krauss, etc.

Although my dad might love me more than he loves my brothers and sisters, my mom isn't so easy to win over. We (my siblings and I) think that my mom bases her favorite on the number of children we have. Since I have none, it kind of takes me out of the running. For now, Shannon has a firm grip on first place as my mom's favorite child. Don't get me wrong, I know that both my parents love us all a lot. But coming from a family of eight children we are always asking our parents who their favorite is...you think I might have learned my lesson about that question.... It's just a funny subject to talk about with my parents. They never really give us a straight answer, so we just assume and speculate about what they really think. Not quite as often as we used to though. Not since Sandy moved out of state.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This makes it sound like I am the only one that ever played around and asked mom and dad the big "who's your favorite" question! I'm feeling misrepresented...especially sinc I know mom and dad don't have favorites at all. But if they did I'm sure I'd be it!

Megan Campbell Carter said...

I feel the same way you do....only there were only 5 of us and the zillion foster kids. My point however is that I took my Dad to a Celtic Concert back in February just after his birthday. Ironic. Well, at least I can tell our dads they have 1 thing in common.

Shamelessly said...

We're both screw ups in our family. I think my mom loves us both, my Dad just ENDURES us.

John L. Carter said...

Um, by far the best part of this blog is the last line. Why is it that Sandy is always seeking approval?