Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Goodbye Summer

Well, today was my first official day back to working full time. It wasn't a typical work day for me, but we had pre-start-of-school meetings. It was so much fun. :( I did, however, have one last hoorah for the summer. Sam and I went to California last week and got back yesterday. It was fantastic! Not one of those relaxing trips, really, but fun.

We got to California Friday night, late. We went to Universal Studios free on Saturday (thanks again, Bryce). I had never been to Universal Studios, so it was fun. Sam even got to participate in the special effects stage presentation thing. It was pretty sweet. The best part about Universal Studios is that they had these fans set up that would also spray water out. They were called "cool zones." I should have taken a picture of them. It made it way nicer to walk around the park, and they had water mists in all the lines too. It was bearable to wait for 40 minutes in the hot California sun because of those.

Monday we spent the day at Disneyland. Yay! I love that place. Disneyland did not have any cool zones, and I think that they should look into it. They really make the park-going experience so much more pleasant. I don't know if you've heard, but the small world ride is shut down. How sad is that? Sure, it's not a very fun ride, but it's classic. It's made fun of and you just have to ride it when you go to Disneyland. The reason it's shut down (as we were told from a group of kids that looked maybe 16) is because America is too fat. Apparently the boats were not meant to support so much weight and they would sink to the bottom of the shallow river that went through the castle that housed the ride, and then the boats wouldn't move. (I should take the time to actually research the reason that the ride is closed, but I like this version.) Anyway, the front is all covered up and rumor has it that they are going to change the ride completely. I think that is so sad. Come on people, if this isn't a wake-up call to the obesity problem facing this country, I don't know what is. Personally, I'm going to resolve to get in better shape. Hopefully shed a few pounds, so tragedies like this don't happen on my account.

All in all, it was a fun trip though. Other than the small world ride and space mountain being broken, Disneyland did not disappoint. The worst part, as is true for most vacations is coming home. It's been a great summer for me and I really will be glad to get back to work.

2 comments:

Shamelessly said...

BOO!! Where's the pictures??? You might as well start just talking about your baby every blog if you're never gonna have any pictures!!!

Moving on... I'm glad I got to ride on Its a Small World before this travesty occured. And also that I rode it before I got too CHUBBA and I wasn't the one to bring the whole thing crumbling to the ground, letting the creepy puppet people out to feast on the flesh of little children. Cause that would really have been a downer.

Not to mention embarrassing.

Sandy Brunson said...

I didn't even know you were going to Cali. Glad you had a good time though! And seriously funny about the small world being shut down because of fatness...