Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Day at Work

Well, the school year has started again, so I am back working full time. And you might think that this post is about that job, but you are so wrong. I was working at the fabric store last night. One really great thing about that job is that the store closes early (we close at 6:30). So, I locked the doors and asked my co-worker if she knew if there were any more customers in the store. Since neither of us knew if there was or was not a customer in the back I decided to go check. As I neared the back of the store I could see that someone was there. I approached the lady and asked her if she needed any help with anything.
"Oh are you closing?" she asked.
"Yeah, we are."
"Ok well...(she asked some questions about the fabric she was looking at)...let's just take this up to the front then to measure it."
"Alrighty," I respond as I reach for the bolt, to carry it up there for her.
"Oh," she starts as she is reaching toward my stomach, "are you expecting?"
After I revive from the shock this question put me in I tell her that no, I am certainly not expecting. And yes, she actually touched my stomach.
She replies, "Well, I just wouldn't want you to carry this if you were in that motherly way."

Ok folks, I know that I could stand to lose a few pounds, but for real?!? Who does that? And even if I were pregnant, I would hope that I could carry a three pound bolt of fabric...for the love! Now if you have never had the experience of being asked if you are pregnant when you are so not pregnant, let me just tell you: it's not fun. It's a little funny in hind-sight. After she left the store I told my co-worker what had happened. We had a good time thinking about what I should have said in response to her question. Here are the top four:
Number 4: I could have just hit her upside the head with the bolt I was carrying for her.
Number 3: "You could stand to lose a couple pounds yourself, ma'am."
Number 2: "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. Get out now."
Number 1: "Hey listen, you're no perfect ten either!"

I guess it's good to know that my poochy stomach is at least firm. It's not just all flabbin' around.

8 comments:

Dennis Carter said...

It's a good thing we're taking a hike. Maybe it'll help you shed all that excess!

arly said...

Nice! Nothing better to lift the spirits and make you feel gorgeous. The most recent time it happened to me was after I gave a talk in church. An acquaintance (my age, mind you) came up to me in Relief Society and said, "Are you with child?" I thought, "Are we in the Old Testament?" and then said, "Um...no. Do I look pregnant?" "Um...uh...no...uh...it's just that you have that motherly glow." I should have said, "It's the spirit. I'm very righteous, you know." But I just said, "Thanks."

The hand on the stomach, though. That's the clincher. Hey, maybe you just have that extra-spiritual glow.

Laura Stringham said...

What is wrong with people! That's happened to me before too. Even being pregnant, I HATE it when people touch me and ask all kinds of questions. When they ask when I'm due, I'm always tempted to tell them that I'm not and what are they referring to? I'd have probably hit her in the head with the fabric.

MaryAnn said...

Some people just have no common sense. I thought the idea of telling her to leave was very funny. At least it made for a good story. Oh - no one has ever tried to touch my pregnant belly when I have been pregnant and I would probably kill them if they did.

Sandy Brunson said...

This is fantastic! Seriously, so great. I'm glad you could find the humor in it because I probably would have just cried.

Lore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lore said...

If you want to feel skinny you can stand next to me, I am sure I am a self esteem booster because I feel like a cow. Oh- and yes people try to touch me ALL THE FREAKING TIME! Hello people, I am NOT Buddha, just because I am expecting does not give you the right to rub my belly!

Lynda/Mom said...

I find it hard to believe someone would be so presumptuous! Laugh it off, I guess. Aunt Lynda