Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Pretty People of Utah

I've lived in Utah my whole life. Lately, it seems, I've heard many people comment about the attractiveness of the people that live in this state. The first time that I heard someone mention this strange phenomenon was when my friend came down to visit from Oregon. As we were eating lunch he pointed out quite a few women that he found attractive and then he said, "Everyone in Utah is pretty! Everywhere I go there are so many pretty girls! I think I'm going to have to move here."

I didn't really think much of his opinion. I mean people that I think are pretty and people that he thinks are pretty are probably not the same. The next incident was with a college professor. She had moved here from Florida, and had lived in other southern states. She taught at a junior high near Salt Lake City and then taught at the college in the afternoons/evenings. She would always comment about how all the boys and girls in her junior high classes were so beautiful. And she thought they all looked very similar as well. She talked about this on more than one occasion.

If you are an American Idol fan you may have noticed, like my friend, that there was a difference between the people they showed when David Archuleta came home and the people that were neighbors or fans of the other two contestants. Also, there are more gyms per capita in Utah than other states in the nation. I'm not saying that all people in Utah are more fit than those in other states, but it does seem to imply that they generally are thinner and fitter than others.

As I look at all of these facts and opinions of those from out of state I think, "Wow! There is a lot of pressure to be pretty here in Utah. I don't think that I am living up to that." Then I wonder to myself, "WHY am I still living in Utah?!?" I mean if I am average looking here imagine how beautiful I could be somewhere else!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Utah beauty hasn't helped me any now that I am out of state...Maybe I overestimate the amount of Utah beauty I have...:)

Casie said...

The number of beautiful girls in Utah also keeps boys from asking girls out and committing. I have talked with my fair share of boys and they admit that they believe they can always get something better. It is when they really want to get married that they finally choose someone, and she is usually stick thin! Hmmm...I think I have thought about this too much!:)