Monday, February 25, 2008

Red Tape

So, for all of you who don't know, I work in a high school. It's a dream. Really, I do like it. It's interesting going back to high school after being graduated for more years than I want to admit. I actually appreciate the classes (I am a sign language interpreter and so I attend a variety of classes), and retain more knowledge than I did as a student.

Some of my more difficult subjects are actually interesting to me now. For instance, I was in a government class and they were learning some new vocabulary words. One of which is red tape. Do you know what it means? Well, I'm going to explain by giving a real life example:

I recently bought a new car. I am going through the process of getting it insured. I actually have to grow up a little and get my own insurance policy. I know! Outrageous. I started by calling the insurance policy my parents use. I just wanted to get a price quote and then call other places to compare prices. Friday I called the company, around 11:30 in the morning. The agent I talked to, we'll call her Linda, said she would have to call me back with a quote. No big deal.

All day Friday I was expecting a call. I never received one. So, I called back Monday to see what the deal was. You may not know this, but it takes about two days to get an insurance quote when you are getting a new policy. Yeah, I didn't believe it either. Linda, tried to tell me that since I called late Friday afternoon they didn't have the chance to get a quote for me. After telling me some more lies, which made me feel like I was talking to a used car salesman, she said she would call back the next morning. It's a bit frustrating, but I decided to hold off on expressing my feelings to Linda. I'll see if she actually does call me tomorrow morning with a price quote. Linda, wherever you are, you better make sure you do call in the morning tomorrow. I can be pretty snotty when I want to be.

3 comments:

Shamelessly said...

I for one can second that last sentiment!!

SuziQ said...

I think Linda's full of you know what. We didn't have to wait two days for a quote, more like two minutes!

Lore said...

I think she is trying to push you buttons, you should let her have it!