Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 1: Demolition

So, we are having our 6'11" high kitchen ceiling vaulted to match the rest of our living/dining room area.  They started work yesterday.  They got most of the demolition done...I think.  From what I hear, that's the hardest part.  I hope that's so.  Although, as they uncovered the walls that were there and the ceiling, I think they found some wires that may make the electrical more difficult than anticipated.  Isn't that always so???  Honestly, when we got the bid, I figured it would be more than they quoted us, and maybe take longer then they said.  But, we're okay with them working late, so maybe they will get it done within the week (still not holding my breath).

Here are some before pictures:

We are super sad to be losing our completely useless loft.  Well, at least I think Michael is a little sad that we are taking his room and making it part of our kitchen.  Sorry Michael...but I don't think Nora would like to live there with you.

And some pictures from the end of day 1:

7 comments:

Mary Ann said...

That looks pretty dang awesome. I can't wait to see daily updates. It will almost be like watching HGTV. Oh, and I love that in the before pics, you have two of the exact same picture--except for the fact that Sam is poking his head into one of them. Funny!

MaryAnn said...

So you decided to go ahead and get it done? It will look amazing when it is done and your kitchen will seem so much bigger. Can't wait for the daily updates!

scott said...

Looks like tons of fun, we will have to come look at it, maybe even while it is being done! Are you going to replace the cabinets and everything else when they are done?

Lynda/Mom said...

Wish I had dropped by the see the house in person, as that is the only good way to appreciate "before" and "after." I will look forward to the updates. I love remodeling even more than new construction--warped, I know, but that's just how I am. Aunt Lynda

Megan Campbell Carter said...

I love that the loft was painted so nicely to match the room. lol.

Laura Stringham said...

Oh my gosh, that kitchen makes me a little claustrophobic. Ya, a higher ceiling is way better.

Dennis Carter said...

Looks messy!!!