Thursday, April 22, 2010

Photic Sneezing

I, along with 30% of people, suffer from photic sneezing. You probably have no idea what that is. Basically it's when you sneeze because light gets in your eyes. For me, it's really just the sun.

Here's what i learned from the world's most reliable source, Wickipedia:

"Photic sneeze reflex is an autosomal dominant hereditary trait which causes sneezing (due to naso-ocular reflex [1]) when suddenly exposed to bright light, possibly many times consecutively. It is also referred to as photic sneeze response, sun sneezing, photogenic sneezing, the photosternutatory reflex, being photo sensitive, allergic to the sun, ACHOO syndrome, and Achooism,[citation needed] named after the sound made when sneezing, along with its related backronym Autosomal dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst syndrome. The condition affects 18-35% of the human population.[2]

The first mention of the phenomenon is probably in the later work attributed to Aristotle (Problems, book XXXIII).[3]"

Hereditary...interesting. I think one of my sisters has it, I don't know about my parents or other siblings. I just want to say, "Yes, it is a real thing."

I always said I was allergic to the sun!

5 comments:

ShamelessPhotography said...

Still think you're a freak. 'Nuff said.

Megan Campbell Carter said...

John is too, he went about asking everyone in your family last Fall.

Mary Ann said...

Scott has it too. Totally weird.

Nicole said...

Seth has it and I pretty sure that my little girl has it too. I never new it was actually called something.

Sandy Brunson said...

Yep. I have it. But we discussed this already.