Friday, February 26, 2010

Whose Mom are You??

So, I didn't think that I looked older than my actual age, but some events this week have made me re-think that estimation of myself.

The Junior High School I work at was having a book fair this week. I decided to go check it out and see if there was anything I needed to get. I sometimes feel like I should support my place of employment. I went to the book fair and I found this awesome cook book. It was "Quick and Easy Chicken recipes from Scratch." I decided I would buy it. As I was paying for the book the cashier, a PTA volunteer, told me about the raffle they had if you bought a book. Then she says, "You can just put your student's name on this ticket and it'll go in the drawing."

Really?!? I look like the mom of a junior high student? That would mean I had a child at age 15. I told her that I don't have a student at the school and that in fact I work there. She was like, "Oh, well we have a separate for faculty and staff that you can enter."

The very next day, I was taking a little break during second period. You know, just getting a drink, going to the bathroom, walking around a little. As I start walking down one of the main hallways this man turns to me and says, "Whose mom are you again? You look so familiar, I just can't place your face with your student."

Seriously??? I said, "I don't have a student here. I work here. If I did have a student I would've been 15 when I had the child...so nope, just an employee. Thanks though."

So...what can we conclude from this? Either I look about 32 or I look like the type of person that would get pregnant at 15. Thanks for making my week, Ms. PTA volunteer and Mr. Choir Teacher.

8 comments:

MaryAnn said...

I'm voting for the type of person that would get pregnant at 15. No - just kidding. You do not look that old - those people are crazy.

Megan Campbell Carter said...

At least they think your old enough to be the mom and not the student as I commonly get.

Barbara said...

I'm surprised people are so cavalier about making assumptions. I think the reason you were mistaken for a mom of a Jr. High student is because you were in the school and not familiar to the people you met. They probably didn't really look at you. I wouldn't worry too much about it :D

Mary Ann said...

That's funny! How horrible would that be to actually look like you're 32?!? That's SO old. :)

Lynda/Mom said...

SO nice to hear from you again, although I have no room to talk. Since I was old enough to be my childrens' grandmother when they were born, I say just don't pay attention--these days anything could happen and people just take that for granted and don't stop to reason it through. Aunt Lynda

Sandy Brunson said...

I was gonna say you totally look like the 15 and pregnant type...but looking at the comments Mare beat me to the punch.

Funny stories. And obviously...you don't like you could be either of those options.

Jason&Shannon said...

Love the story...are you not covering up your gray anymore? Just kidding.

liesel said...

I was visiting my grandma at the nursing home, and somebody asked me if I was her daughter.... REALLY!? yeah since my grandma is in her 90's that would mean I'd have to be at the very least 50. nice.

You're not alone, stupid people are everywhere.