Wednesday, April 8, 2009

13.1

So, after watching the episode of The Biggest Loser where they contestants ran a half-marathon as the challenge, I thought to myself, "If they can do that, I certainly can." It became my goal. Of course, I thought I'd work up to it, so the last couple of weeks I've been running longer distances...you know, like 5-7 miles. Just about once a week...outside. On the colder days I've stayed in the gym and ran my usual 3 miles.

Well, yesterday I decided that I was going to run 10 miles. Because I'm too lazy to actually plan a 10 mile route, I just run around the track at the Orem hospital, that Ive been told is a mile plus...I'm going to figure out exactly how long it actually is today (hopefully). Can I just tell you that running that track 10 times was probably the most difficult thing I've ever done?!? (Physically...that is.)

Ironically, it was the 9th time around that was the hardest! I wanted to cry, I'm not even joking. I seriously wanted to give up...but then as I neared my starting point I thought, "I only have one more time to go around to make 10. Are you really going to quit so close to accomplishing your goal for today?" My stubbornness kicked in, and I ran the last lap.

I think I must be getting old, because my knees are killing me today! I can hardly walk. Well, ok that's not really true, but it does hurt. I must commend those of you that have ever done long distance running like that. It's not easy. Yes, I still plan on running a half marathon and eventually a marathon. That is one of my life goals. I am pretty proud of finishing my goal yesterday. It feels like quite an accomplishment. Yay for me!

10 comments:

Barbara said...

Congratulations, that really is quite an accomplishment. I commend you for your persistence and your ultimate goal--you go, girl!!

Sandy Brunson said...

Wow! I am so not up to that on my running. I barely do 2 miles these days. Sad.

MaryAnn said...

That is an accomplishment! Congratulations. What did you think of last night's episode?

candiceshawnshepherd said...

Wow that is amazing! You are my hero! I really don't think I could even run 1 mile. I haven't run since high school. I really need to run to lose some of this fat (that I still claim as "baby fat" even though my "baby" is 10 months old :))

liesel said...

wow. I hate running because it hurts and not in a good way at all, I can deal with muscle burn, but not feeling like my lungs are about to explode. So I am that much more impressed with you. You're awesome!

SuziQ said...

Wow, Di, you go! My goal is a 10K, which is much shorter, and I'm working up to it slowly. You're my running hero!

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

They always say that The Biggest Loser inspires people. I know at times I think it does me, but not enough to quit eating my ice cream while I watch the show. I am glad to know someone who really did get motivated to do something for herself. Tara is amazing isn't she? Talk about a strong woman. Wow!

Mary Ann said...

You're my hero! Did you let out any embarrassingly loud groans while you were running? :)

Austin's Mommy said...

So, my sister in law invited me to run a 10k or something with her. I am NOT a runner but I said I would give it a try. I went to the school near our house at the time and ran my heart out on their track which is 1 mile. My lungs seized up and I thought I was going to die. I think I actually started going horizontal as my head neared the ground and by 1/4 of a mile I decided the 10k was off.

LyndiLou said...

That is sooo completely awesome! I'm impressed that you WANTED to do it in the first place... and then that you stuck to it and really did! WOW!!! You're a great running example! I need to get in shape! ;)