Monday, October 13, 2008

Calculus

Well, I guess the world is demanding to know why I'm happy. Ok, ok, so maybe they're not really demanding to know. But a few people asked. Let's see...here are a few reasons why I'm loving life right now. I think the main reason is that I've been doing really well at making time for personal scripture study and meaningful prayer. I know, you all thought that I was a pro at that type of thing. But, it's not true. I think, like most of you, there are times when I do really well at those things and times when I don't. I feel really stupid, because I always know I'm so much happier doing it, so why not just be dedicated all the time, right?!? Yeah, I know. It doesn't make sense.

Also, it's coming on coat season. As much as I don't love the cold, I do love my winter wardrobe. Especially the coats. So, even thought it's ten times harder to get up when it's cold outside (and in), at least I have some coat-wearing to look forward to.

My family. Yes, Shannon, we are lucky to have 5 sisters. And not just that, you all are 5 amazing sisters. So thanks for that. And, although there was some drama with one of my brothers about this time last week, it's all good now (I think). So that too contributes to my happiness.

Also, I have some really great friends. They are patient with me, and despite all my crazy, they apparently like to hang out with me. Also, they will try foreign foods when we go out to eat. What's the point of going out if you're always going to get a hamburger and fries? You can make those things better at home than a restaurant can. You've got to try some good Thai food or some exceptional Indian food! Good conversation contributes to a fun evening out too.

And finally, calculus. I don't know if you've ever been the only girl in one of your college classes, but it's kind of fun. Especially when the boys ask you for help with homework. (Don't worry, I ask them for help plenty too.) But it does make you feel like you're breaking through the generalization of 'girls aren't as good at math as boys are' when you are the only girl in a calculus class.

Oh, and yeah, it doesn't hurt that my good friend is home from his mission.

8 comments:

SuziQ said...

Boy, I wish Calculus made Ben happy. Mostly it makes him stressed out! LOL

Lynda/Mom said...

Calculus, huh. I failed it, so if you're doing well, no wonder you're happy. I'll use my kind of calculus to figure the rest of it out, but thanks for sharing. Aunt Lynda

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

What happened with one of our brothers? Or maybe you can't share. I like the sidenote about your "friend" at the end. Way to de-emphasize that one. Anyway, love you and thanks for the insightful words on the impact of scripture study and prayer...how true!

candiceshawnshepherd said...

I'm glad you're happy, you deserve to be happy. Funny how when you're doing what you should be, life tends to go so much smoother... makes me wonder how we can be so dumb sometimes choose a more difficult path. Anyways , keep me posted on your "good friend" :0)

Sandy Brunson said...

"good friend" Please! What spurred the 5 great sisters comment? I mean, it's clearly true and obviously worth mentioning, but I'm curious why you think so. And I agree about the going out to eat...I think I need some Indian food right now. YUMMY. I always feel dumb about the cycles I go through in my personal scriptures study and prayers. Such a huge difference and yet I so often don't make it the priority it should be. You would think we would learn...

MaryAnn said...

I was never the only girl in a class, but I did like being a science major - as that is generally thought of as a men's world. Glad you are doing well.

Barbara said...

I'll break ranks and agree with you that coat season and winter wardrobes are the best. I'm really enjoying the colder weather. Best of luck with calculus and all your other fun endeavors.

Lore said...

I too love a good coat, or 10. I have to agree with you there!
From my experiance, when you are happy and everything is good, it's becasue you are on the right path, you must be doing something right. Oh and..Good Friend... is that all?