Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Vending Machine



So, here is a story that some of you know, but some of you don't.  Recently I have been asked about this experience by a couple of my siblings, and I thought it would make a pretty good blog post.

When I was about 8 or 9 (we lived in a trailer park), there was a vending machine near the manager's house.  Being the sugar addict that I am, I would often buy candy from the vending machine.  This particular day my brother, John, was tagging along with me and my friend.  He was begging me to buy him something too.  I kept telling him no.  He had his own money.  Why should I buy him candy?!?  When I got to the vending machine, he was still right by my side.  I put my money in, and as I pushed the button of the candy I wanted, he pushed what he wanted too.  And then, a miracle happened.  My candy came out, and so did his.  Wait, it gets better...someone had the idea to push the coin return, and I got my money back. 

We weren't stupid.  We continued putting the money in and pushing as many buttons as we could at the same time, to maximize our buying power.  By this time, my sister Sandy had joined the fun, and another friend, Joey.  (We fondly referred to him as yellow teeth...weren't we so kind?!?)  Within a few minutes, we had the entire vending machine emptied.  Best day of my life!  We divided up the candy and each had a bag full.  I remember walking around the neighborhood living up the moment.  I started my candy binge with one of my least favorite kinds of candy, a nut roll.

Delicious...not.  By the time I was about half way through the candy bar, I started feeling really guilty, along with my sister, Sandy.  (John was apparently void of this feeling at his young age.)  Despite our friends', and brother's utter confusion, we confessed what we'd done to our mother.  She told us we needed to give the candy back and pay for what we had eaten.  We took the candy back to the manager and gave him the money we owed.  Yes, we made the right choice in the end, and yes it felt better than having a whole vending machine's worth of candy. 

8 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Love this story! You guys were so naughty!

MaryAnn said...

You guys stole from a vending machine and us older kids figured out how the work Trafalga for free tokens... Guess we all have our dark sides!

arly said...

What a sweet story. I can imagine as a kid that being the best day ever!!!!

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Yes, I have used this story twice now in primary. I like it better than my story about Trafalga, because we felt no guilt. In fact we were mad at Scott for eventually ratting us out to mom. I guess the younger siblings are a bit more righteous. Thanks for the good example you are to me and my primary!!!

Lynda/Mom said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing. I have fond memories of visiting you in the trailer park--what interesting experiences you had. Aunt Lynda

John L. Carter said...

Just a couple points of clarification. . . I had the idea to hit the coin return, and you didn't take the candy and money to the manager in person. You left the bag with a note.

D. said...

I always thought we just left the candy in a bag with a note, but Sandy told me we actually talked to Rex. BUT, my blog doesn't actually say one way of the other it just says we gave it back. Rex did tell mom he was glad it was us that robbed the vending machine.

Anonymous said...

Okay so i know this post is super old, but what can i say i dont check the blog very consistently! LOVE this story! You used it all the time on the mish to teach repentance, remember?
A - admit the problem
B - be sorry
C- correct it.
D- dont do it again! :)
In the name.... amen! haha

Casey
ps.i have to post this as anonymous because I cant figure out how the hell to long into my own blogger account. rediculous!