Monday, June 7, 2010

Sunday Evenings

I love Sunday dinner at my mom's house.  Fortunately, I get to eat there with most of my family every other week.  Well, I guess it's only half my family.  But still, a good time.  We usually play a game or two after we're done eating.  Last night we were reminiscing and decided to re-visit our childhood instead of playing games.  Here's what we made...


I'm sure many of you don't know what this is.  You're probably not a Carter.  It's a potato bug house.  Still confused?!? Shocking!  When we were young we made mazes out of legos and put potato bugs in them to see if they could find their way out.  Sounds stupid, I'm sure.  But, it entertained us for hours as children, and for a little while last night.  Not all of my siblings participated in this activity.  I think it was mostly the younger ones.  It was fun to remember how awesomely creative we were as kids!


You bet we found a potato bug and put it in!


Did I mention I cut 13" off my hair a couple weeks ago?  Ugly picture, I know.  But I am loving the short hair.  I forget how nice and easy it is.  Man I look scary in that picture!  (It's the only one I have of my fabulous new hair...this was from the first day too!)

And no, our house is not finished yet.  They've just been mudding and sanding.  Trust me, you're not missing anything without pictures of it.  But, it is looking good and they should be done today.  And then Sam and I get to clean and paint. Yay!  Anyone want to help???

12 comments:

scott said...

in case anyone is wondering I found the world's most moronic potatoe bug ever. It never made it out of the maze, the trailer court had much smarter potato bugs, they always escaped eventually

Mary Ann said...

I had definitely never heard of a potato bug house until I met you Carters. Good times. I love your hair cut, even if your mom thinks it looks ragged or jagged or whatever she called it. :)

Lynda/Mom said...

I'd help paint, but I'm not there and I'm not much of a painter these days. I'll be cheering you on. As for potato bugs, I'm not sure I know what they are. Rolly polly bugs? Or something else? I'll be cheering you on in all endeavors. Aunt Lynda

MaryAnn said...

Yes, Aunt Lynda, potato bugs are rolly polly bugs. And I also participated in the potato bug house making. In fact, I believe Scott and I were the first ones to ever do it. I like your short hair.

Sandy Brunson said...

No way! Mare is crazy. I don't think she and Scott invented the potato bug house. Maybe Karen and Scott. Love it! Also loving the hair.

MaryAnn said...

Sandy - you are crazy. I remember making the potato bug houses with Scott. You were too little to know what was going on.

Barbara said...

Ahhh, the joys of childhood memories!!

SuziQ said...

Love the hair, Di!

Jason&Shannon said...

Have to get in on the argument, I too recall making those houses and knew exactly what it was the minute I looked at that photo. Good times, though I do think it was Scott and Mare that spent more time making them...it wasn't the two of them that thought up the idea. It was a combined effort of boredom and creativity from the oldest kids, not you younger copy cats!!!!!

Jason&Shannon said...

I still call roly polys potato bugs occasionally and people look at me funny. Why do we cal them that and not other people?

scott said...

For the record I don't remember making potato bug houses for anyone older than me, I am not saying the the old sisters didn't, but I remember making them more with the four youngest. I am sure I was in on the first that was ever made.

D. said...

LOL! Who knew a silly post about potato bug house would cause such strife! Not really though. Yeah, I am totally a copy cat...I'm okay with that though.